Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hong Kong Tramways

Officially, a company called Hong Kong Tramways Ltd. runs the largest fleet of double-decker tramcars in the world today. It started out way back in 1904 giving transportation service to the areas of Hong Kong Island. The tram railway system starts west at Kennedy Town goint east to Shau Kei Wan along the way passing the routes of Tai koo Shing, North Point, Causeway Bay, Wan Chai, Admiralty and Central which are commercial areas.

With a standard fare of HK$2 and HK$1 for senior citizens and students, Hong Kong's Tramways is not just a cheap and effective means of transportation but of historical value to Hong Kong's cultural heritage as well.

I've been in Hong Kong for almost two years and up to now, I still enjoy and get excited when riding a tram. I particularly like to take a seat at the upper deck up front where I could see Hong Kong's bustling city life.

that's me waiting for my tram ride

tramcars has become an effective tool for advertisers lately

an incoming tram for afar

Next time I'll share pictures of Hong Kong taken from the upper deck of a tram. When visiting Hong Kong, be sure to ride the tram as it is a must for a Hong Kong experience.

Here's a useful link - Official Hong Tram Route Map

Also check out my post about Hong Kong's The Peak Tram.