Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Cable Car to Hong Kong's Big Buddha

It was the 6th of May 2011 and we just finished our work contract in Hong Kong so we were only staying on holiday. Just in time, our friends Mark and Yves were in town and asked us to go out to Lantau Island. Going there, we could either take the ferry or the cable car. We decided to take the cable car.

That's me, Calay at the middle and Mark on the right
waiting for the cable car's next trip

Yves (right) and Calay (left) showing off their cable tickets

From Wan Chai, we took the MTR up to Tung Chung. When you exit the Tung Chung MTR Station, it's takes about ten minutes to walk to the cable car station going to Ngong Ping. It costs just a little more than a hundred Hong Kong dollars for each person's ticket inside a crystal cabin cable, the one with the clear see-through floor!

I'm particularly afraid of heights and tried my best to maintain my composure. Calay was afraid as well, Mark was cool while Yves was daringly walking the crystal glass floor. It was only around a 25 minute ride but it seemed that it took forever. I was amazed, thrilled and terrified all at the same time.

That's me making sure I've got a firm grip on the handle bars just in case


guys acting tough and cool... hehe



From up above you could also see the airport with planes taking off and landing and I just thought we were up so high maybe we'd get hit by one.... just paranoid. Each time I looked at the crystal floor I could feel my legs tremble but tried hard to be cool...hahaha... When we we're at the top-most parts of the ride, there were heavy fog and clouds making it impossible for us to see anything plus there were strong winds. That's when I wish the ride would end and we be on level ground.

At last we arrived Ngong Ping Village. It was a wonderful and terrifying cable car ride... but I can't wait to do it again.

Ngong Ping Cable Car Station at last