Friday, July 8, 2011

Hot Pot at Shangle Street in Shekou

It’s our fourth week in Shekou, Shenzhen and we’ve been enjoying Xtasea Bar’s excellent cooking of American food and the barbeque and noodles down the corner after work but my typical craving for for something new is up again. I took my bike and roamed the area and saw this restaurant at the end of Shangle Street (also known as Seamen’s road due to bountiful seafarers who roam the area). What actually attracted me to it was its unusual and long name - “Popular Food In Taiwan”. I went inside to take a look and saw a lot of locals and some expats as well digging unto their shiny stainless hotpots. I called Calay and asked her to meet me after half an hour outside our building.

When we got back to the “Popular Food In Taiwan”, most of the people have gone and we got settled. It’s a good thing their menu had English translations and pictures aside from big pictures on the wall which one could just point at. The place was clean as well. We were greeted by a friendly staff whom I think is also the owner.

Upon careful review of the menu, Calay ordered Brisk Beef Hotpot while I decided to go for the Salted Pork set. Service was fast and we got our orders almost at the same time within ten minutes. The waitress prepared the heating apparatus for the hot pot and it was up and boiling in front of us in no time. Both of our orders included rice and bottomless soda drinks.

CIMG2892

Calay’s Brisk Beef Hotpot was a great choice. Soup base tasted just right. It had beef strips which were soft and tasty. Vegetables included corn, pumpkin, tomato, cabbage and mushrooms and also tofu (well at least those are the only ones I recognize). It also had some meatballs, crabstick, quail eggs, sausage and shrimp. It came with this special sauce similar to Sate but thicker and with stronger flavor mixed with Wasabe.


CIMG2897


CIMG2895


CIMG2898

The Salted Pork set included pork on top of cucumber salad, mongo sprouts, marinated tofu with egg and rice. Although I had a great dish as well, I must admit, I enjoyed Calay’s order even more.


CIMG2891

We had an absolutely wonderful meal and we both agreed we are will be going there often. The Brisk Brisket Hotpot set costs only RMB30 and the Salted Pork set RMB22 with a total bill of only RMB52! … all in. Although there are still a lot of cheaper choices in China, for such a great meal it was well worth its price. “Popular Food In Taiwan” in Shekou… we’ll be back!


CIMG2899